Yes, this year is the one I dedicated to discovering and
learning more about African literary works.
The African Reading Challenge just spices up the journey.
Let me first admit that though I am a reader, I have been
quite ignorant (and that’s putting it kindly) of how rich African literary
works are, and how abundant!! I always imagined “this” genius was of the Soyinka
generation. Well, thanks to the face book group of readers, I now know
Chimamanda, Okri and other African literary greats.
My List:
1.
The
Famished Road by Ben Okri (WEST)
2. Abyssinian
Chronicles by Moses Isegawa (EAST)
3.
One
Day I Will Write About This Place by Binyavanga Wainana (EAST)
4. Nervous
Conditions by Tsitsi Dandarembga (SOUTH)
5.
The
Antipeople by Sony Lab’ou Tansi (CENTRAL)
6. Women of
Algiers in their Apartment by Assia Djebar ( NORTH)
I was always that girl that does the audit course, when we
were required to take 5 elective course units. True story of my second year at
the University! I’m on the hunt for these books especially the last two which I
just looked up on google and made my choices.
Well, so far… I have just completed reading The Famished Road. Honestly, I was blown away!!! It
was a difficult read at the beginning especially that I am not so much into
fantasy. I love a few fantasy works and by the time I got done with the book, I
was in awe of Ben Okri!! He is my African mix of Tolkien and Lewis.
It took me almost an
entire month to read the book. I kept getting lost and confused, then the more
I read, the clearer it got, and the richer!! I would like to actually discuss it but I
think we are at the stage of the Challenge where we have just made our lists
and shared them. It wouldn’t be nice to spoil for those who want to read it. I
recommend it!!! I told a friend…it was like “Inception” for me. Yes, the movie.
It will be one book I re-read…because I get to the end, and I am still not sure
about certain events.
Nonetheless, I get Okri’s message loud and clear!! Boy,
he is good...and his delivery is pure genius (well, selon moi).
I am really grateful to Di Ncy (for creating that face book
group) and Charlene (for making me aware of great contemporary African literature). More
colour has definitely been added to my life!!!
To African genius and a great reading year!!!
Nabuuma:-)
No comments:
Post a Comment